Saturday, July 28, 2012

Why I LOOOOVE Coupons!

Today, in addition to a wonderfully fun day hanging out with my family, I took a brief trip to Publix to pick up a couple of things before some of my coupons expired.  And I was reminded once again why I love couponing so incredibly much.

See this?

I purchased all of this at Publix for $7.15+ tax.

To give you a feel for the value, that is the price of just the two Wholly Guacamole packages.  So, effectively, I got 2.5 lbs of ground round, 2 packages of King Hawaiian Sandwich Buns, and 2 packages of granola bars for free.  And the only thing that was really on sale were the granola bars.  Everything else was regular price (notwithstanding a 50 cent per pound markdown on the meat).

Here's a look at the receipt to get an idea of it all, and I can break it down for you to give you an idea of how I swung this.  Even the cashier was impressed today. :)


Bummer, I think it's too small to read.  But either way, I'll break it down for ya.

The Hawaiian King Rolls were 2.99 each.  I had 2 Publix coupons, A.K.A. PQs for short, (which can be used in addition to manufacturer's coupons) for $1/1.  I addition to this, I had a $1/1 Manufacturer's coupon, MQ for short, that I got from a magazine I subscribe to, and a $2/1 MQ that I got for signing up for email newsletters from Hawaiian King. That made for a total of $5 off of $6 worth of bread.

Next came the Wholly Guacamole packets which were $3.59 each.  I had 2 MQs for $1.50/1 that I received for "liking" Wholly Guacamole on facebook.  This brought my price down to $2.09 each.  I would consider this to still be pretty expensive, but in this case, I needed to purchase the guacamole and the bread in order to be able to use my coupons on the meat.

For the ground round, I had 2 coupons which I got out of the Sunday news paper from my mother-in-law who brought all her coupon inserts with her from Texas when she came to stay for a month when Brighton was born. The coupon is an MQ for a FREE pound of ground beef with the purchase of Hawaiian King Rolls and Wholly Guacamole.  I knew that if there was a good sale on either of these products or high value coupons were to arise, that it would make for a great deal.  So I kept my eye out for coupons or sales.  So, purchasing the bread and the dip earned me $4.91 and $4.99 off my meat. I realized after the fact this was an error on the cashier's part...I couldn't find packages that were exactly 1 lb., so I got the next smallest sizes... 1.23 lbs, and 1.25 lbs.  He accidentally took off the full price of both packs instead of $3.99 per package (the cost of 1 lb.).  This ended up being an error of almost $2 in my favor.  Very rarely does that happen, but occasionally it does.

And last but not least, I had a $1/2 MQ for the Quaker granola bars that I found on a couponing website and printed off.  The regular price of these granola bars is $2.99 per box.  They were on sale BOGO, which in GA means half off (i.e. you don't have to buy two to get the sale price), making them $1.49.  Thus with the coupon they were .99 each.

All in all, between my coupons and the store sale prices, I saved 23.11.  That means I got a whopping $30.26 worth of groceries for $7.15, which is a savings of just over 75%.

And my favorite thing of all...it's on yummy, high quality foods my family will love to eat.  Often, I think coupons get a bad wrap because people think that you can only get junk food with coupons.  And it's true -- you can get a lot of junk with coupons.  But you don't have to choose to buy that junk!  We sure don't!  In fact, we consistently eat higher quality, even organic foods that I wouldn't have probably ever tried or even noticed in the grocery store because of coupons!  Did I mention I LOVE COUPONS! :)

I'd love to give any tips, or answer any questions about couponing if anyone has any.  It's really not as hard as it looks, I promise! And it has done a lot for our family's wallet and health.  Cheers!

1 comment: